Corona-virus (CORVID-19) & Momentum Is Your Friend
We will be enforcing strict Social Distancing beyond the current advised distance at all times during our private xc sessions.
If you book a private session with us be ready to observe and follow the precautions below:
- Keep space between yourself and others - our coaches and students at each session are to keep the current government and health advised minimum distances from other people at all times,
- Don’t shake hands or hug anybody,
- Avoid touching anything that is not yours including water bottles, bikes, bike gear or bike tools etc,
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with a tissue or a flexed elbow, and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible.
- If a student/participant shows up with signs of sickness we are required to turn them back home and ask them to call their doctor. As our skills instructor(s) have been engaged for the day's booking, no refund can be given.
- If you've booked in and then feel sick in any way after making your booking but before your booking day, please let us know and you're booking will be cancelled and refunded.
ABOUT THE INTERMEDIATE ROCKY TERRAIN 3Hr SESSION
We run these as a group session a few times each year. To book in for one of these sessions, keep an eye on our home page for the next session to be listed and click that link.
For ages 13 yrs and above.
Our Intermediate Rocky Terrain Session is approx. a 3 hour session of lessons on dark blue intermediate trails with experienced, globally accredited mountain bike instructors. The session has limited places in order to better facilitate participant experience and learning, as well as risk management. The Intermediate Rocky Terrain Session will concentrate on the skills you need to confidently ride cross country rocky technical terrain.
Each group may contain up to approx. 10 riders maximum. Each session with more than 4 participants will have 2 coach/instructors.
WHO IS THIS SESSION FOR?
Our Intermediate Rocky Terrain Session is for:
- mid level and experienced intermediate level XC riders wanting to how to ride more safety and quickly on trails with various rocky features.
- mid level intermediate level XC riders who feel they need to step up their confidence in order to become a more advanced intermediate level cross country rider.
Riders this session suits already ride most obstacles and features on blue cross country trails but find dark blue and black xc trails too much. The session suits riders who aren't confident tackling rocky obstacles at speed or getting the bike over or up rocky obstacles.
Momentum Is Your Friend employs PMBIA and MTBA accredited coaches.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Our Intermediate Rocky Terrain Session is all about helping you to develop and practice more advanced xc skills so you can confidently ride more technical trails.
Skills learned will include:
- Body position
- Flowing over rocks and rocky descents
- Medium to large xc drops & rollovers
- Line choice & trail awareness
- Bike handling for more speed
- Wheel lifts
- Location specific manoeuvres
Note: Session and program content may be altered at the coaches discretion for reasons of safety, weather, to better cater for the riders or other requirements.
IS THIS FOR ME?
I can ride most intermediate trail ok but...
“I need to learn to tackle some more challenging trail features.”
“I can’t get speed or smoothness over rocks.”
“I can’t rollover the drops and stuff well.”
“I’m slow down hill.”
“I often accidentally hit trees, banks, other riders and Ewoks while trying to avoid rocks.”
"Even little rocks make me cry"
If any of these statements sound like you then perhaps our Intermediate Rocky Terrain Session is for you.
WHAT YOU NEED
Your mountain bike will need to be suited to cross country/all mountain riding and fitted with mountain bike tyres also suited to rough terrain. We strongly suggest using a tyre with an aggressive tread pattern and minimum width of 2.3 inches. 2.4-2.8 is more common. Lightweight cross country, touring or semi-slick tyres are not suitable.
Although a hardtail bike can be used, by far the most popular choices for rocky terrain are bikes of between 120 - 150mm full suspension travel and head tube angles between 69-66 degrees. Some students use enduro mtb's or lightweight race xc bikes also.
If you are unsure about any of this, please ask us.
We do ask that, to the best of your ability, that you try to ensure your bike is in good working and properly set up for your body shape and weight prior to the class. We cannot hold the class up to aid mechanical repairs.
Full Face Helmet (optional)
You are required to wear a correctly fitting, Australian approved helmet during all sessions.
Dropper Post (optional)
Although not compulsory, having a dropper post on your bike is an advantage for some intermediate and advanced skills.
Knee and Elbow Pads (optional)
Although not compulsory we do suggest wearing extra protection in the form of hard or soft shell pads on both knees and elbows if you have them. You not only gain the protection but also the confidence that comes from knowing you have the protection.
Body Armour (optional)
If you own any sort of body armour then feel free to wear it. Protective gear is useless when you are crashing and it's sitting in a closet at home.
Full Terms and Conditions Available Here
All current and upcoming programs