Corona-virus (CORVID-19) & Momentum Is Your Friend
We will be enforcing strict Social Distancing beyond the current advised distance at all times during our private xc sessions.
If you book a private session with us be ready to observe and follow the precautions below:
- Keep space between yourself and others - our coaches and students at each session are to keep the current government and health advised minimum distances from other people at all times,
- Don’t shake hands or hug anybody,
- Avoid touching anything that is not yours including water bottles, bikes, bike gear or bike tools etc,
- Cover your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with a tissue or a flexed elbow, and avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth as much as possible.
- If a student/participant shows up with signs of sickness we are required to turn them back home and ask them to call their doctor. As our skills instructor(s) have been engaged for the day's booking, no refund can be given.
- If you've booked in and then feel sick in any way after making your booking but before your booking day, please let us know and you're booking will be cancelled and refunded.
We run these as a group session a few times each year. To book in for one of these sessions, keep an eye on our home page for the next session to be listed and click that link.
For ages 13 yrs and above.
Our Beginner Skills Session is approx. a 3 hour session of lessons on easy trails with ways around any challenging features and with experienced, globally accredited mountain bike instructors. The Beginner Skills Session will concentrate on the skills you need to simply ride safely on cross country terrain.
Each group may contain up to approx. 10 riders maximum. Each session with more than 4 participants will have 2 coach/instructors.
WHO IS THIS SESSION FOR?
Our Beginner Skills 3hr Session is aimed at those riders from complete beginners through to riders who have been riding a little while but, either lost confidence or never really gained it.
Momentum Is Your Friend employs PMBIA and MTBA accredited coaches.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Our Beginner Skills 3hr Session will begin with absolute basic skills and progress through towards skills that give the riders better stability and confidence.
Skills learned will include the following and more.
- Correct body positions
- Braking and Gear selection
- Basic Cornering
- Balance and control
- Handling small obstacles
Note: Session and program content may be altered at the coaches discretion for reasons of safety, weather, to better cater for the riders or other requirements.
IS THIS FOR ME?
We’d describe a beginner as someone who fits one or more of the following.
- New or relatively new to MTB.
- Only feels confident or comfortable riding the easier/green trails.
- Struggles to get any flow or speed even on easier/green trails.
- Has problems with braking and wheels locking up.
- Finds themselves in the wrong gear often.
- Can’t or struggles to get over obstacles such as logs and rocks etc on trails.
- Often feels like they are going go over the bars.
- Have been riding for some time, or returning to MTB after a long break, but feel like they are still at a novice level of riding.
“I have a mountain bike but I’m scared to ride it on mountain bike trails.”
“I would just like to learn properly.”
“I have not mountain biked in a long time and need to brush up on my skills.”
“I already ride a lot but I’m not really getting better.”
“My riding friends are all better than I am.”
“I can ride ok but struggle to get over logs or down hills.”
If any of these statements sound like you then perhaps this group program is for you.
WHAT TO BRING
Your mountain bike will need to be suited to cross country riding and fitted with mountain bike tyres. Touring or semi-slick tyres are not suitable.
If you are unsure about any of this, please ask us.
We do ask that, to the best of your ability, that you try to ensure your bike is in good working and properly set up for your body shape and weight prior to the class. We cannot hold the class up to aid mechanical repairs.
- Bike in good working order (including your usual spares for rides, chain lubed etc)
- Helmet (compulsory of course)
- Snacks & Water (in hydro pack or bottles etc for breaks
- MTB Gloves (recommended but not compulsory)
- Sunscreen & Bug Spray (just in case it's a beautiful day or the bugs hate us)
- Change of Clothes (so you don't stink your car out going home)
Full Terms and Conditions Available Here
All current and upcoming programs